Coming Up: Clay Plastering & Sculpting Workshop
Athena Steen (of The Canelo Project) has been teaching people how to work with clay plasters, straw bale, cob, earthen floors, and ovens for over 30 years. She is known for combining practical, easy-to-learn techniques with artistic form and design.
During the course you will learn how to:
- Develop a variety of plaster mixes, from thick and sculptural to thin and smooth, using primarily local clays.
- Mix by hand using simple tools and techniques.
- Apply using wood floats and Japanese trowels.
- Know which trowels to use for which jobs.
- Best methods to stabilize clay plasters.
- Build a strawbale bench.
- Modify bales; making half bales, and curved bales.Lay and mortar adobes.
- Sculpt beveled reliefs and designs.
- Collaborate artistically and intuitively within a group
Click HERE to participate